OT: Well, that's settled.

Mon Feb 14 04:49:40 UTC 2011

Laurence Horn wrote
>>  IOW, f2f confession isn't everything, it's the *only* thing.

LH elaborated:
> Just to restore the context of my remark, I was responding above to
> your earlier attribution of the remark about the inadmissibility of
> iPhone confessions to "Vatican spokesman Federico Lombardi" in
> alluding (cryptically, I confess) to (Mon?)Signor Lombardi's
> non-cousin Vince, who was a good Catholic but not from St. Louis, so
> you never know.

Fred Shapiro discussed the quotation alluded to on the Quotes
Uncovered blog in June 2009 and noted an earlier instance from Red
Sanders:

“Winning isn’t everything. … It’s the only thing!” “Red” Sanders,
Quoted in Los Angeles Times, October 18, 1950. Often attributed to
Vince Lombardi, but the Sanders citation predates any reference to
Lombardi using it. David Maraniss, When Pride Still Mattered: A Life
of Vince Lombardi (1999), quotes Sanders’s friend Fred Russell: “I
remember hearing him saying it back in the mid-1930’s when he was
coaching at the Columbia Military Academy.”

http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/04/quotes-uncovered-more-than-one-way-to-spell-a-word/