"The _sum total_ of the world's knowledge: 250 exabytes"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Feb 14 16:30:17 UTC 2011

At 11:21 AM -0500 2/14/11, Ronald Butters wrote:
>Well of course the redundancy that people usually complain about is
>in sentences of the form, "A dead body was found yesterday on the
>Yale  campus."

I've always thought the "body" > "dead body" inference was a
pragmatic one, where "person" or such would block the use of "body"
for the non-dead ones.  This predicts that it can be overridden in
various contexts, e.g. in a review in the Yale Daily News of an
experimental play, "Dozens of bodies in various stages of undress
were writhing on the stage", where (if nothing else) the "writhing"
is a clue that the bodies in question were non-dead.  Even the body
found on campus, if it's spotted unmoving from a distance, doesn't
necessarily license the inference that it's dead.  (Or"bodies in the
wreckage" that might be alive or dead pending further investigation.)

LH