"_sum total_"

geoffrey nunberg nunberg at ISCHOOL.BERKELEY.EDU
Tue Feb 15 20:13:38 UTC 2011

It should be noted that 'sum total' enters the lg in the early 15th c. as the translation of Lat. 'summa totalis',  "the total amount (of things capable of numeration)" (OED).  'Total' doesn't appear as a noun in the sense "The aggregate, the whole sum or amount" until more than a century later. So at its inception, in any event, 'sum total' wasn't redundant, and wouldn't have been perceived as such until 'total' was reanalyzed as the NP head and 'sum' as what Mary Haas called a restricated modifier, like the first term in 'pitch dark,' 'sopping wet',  'brand new,' etc. Presumably, that wouldn't have happened until people no longer associated the phrase with a Latin source.

I wonder if charging that 'sum total' is redundant would place one in the awkward position of having to explain why 'summa totalis' isn't.

Geoff