"There _are_ individuals and businesses _earning gain_ in the secondary market as well as in the primary market."

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 17 19:06:41 UTC 2011

As a finance guy, I feel an obligation to guess...

I would define "to earn gain" as "to profit", without regard to the
kind of profit (eg, interest, capital gain).

Perhaps it is a back-formation from "capital gain"?

DanG