whole nine yards

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Fri Feb 18 11:49:02 UTC 2011

Thanks Joel.
By the way, a 1943 film with Humphrey Bogart, "Action in the North Atlantic,'" features a Liberty Ship.
Stephen
From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Joel S. Berson [Berson at ATT.NET]
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2011 5:20 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ADS-L] whole nine yards

Off-list I offered to Stephen to look at (one of) Shaw's books, which
I could see at Harvard.  That one is:

Shaw, Alexander.
Liberty ships : a middle age review / by Alexander Shaw.
Belair, Md. : A. Shaw], 1957.
[vi], 140 p.

No luck with "whole nine yards".  The book is 99.9% pure a list of
liberty ship names and their fates.  The two and 1/2 page preface
does not say anything about yards.

The other Shaw book is 1961, "Liberty ships: twenty years later", so
might have something.  (Held by the NY Public, Mariner's Museum
Library in Newport News, Evans Library at Texas A&M, and Australian
National Maritime Museum, Pyrmont, NSW).  But  it's only 3 pages
longer -- perhaps just a few more ships he located.