junto [interdating]

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 21 23:14:27 UTC 2011

OED has under Junto n. 1.a.:

> 1. A body of men who have joined or combined for a common purpose,
> especially of a political character; a self-elected committee or
> council; a clique, faction, or cabal; a club or coterie.
> a. In politics or matters of public interest.

There are a number of examples at fairly short intervals between 1641
and 1734, then 1783 and 1888.

Here's one in an even more general sense from an 1834 US newspaper:

Headline: [From the National Intelligencer.] Decisive Reproof; Article
Type: News/Opinion
Paper: Baltimore Patriot; Date: 10-15-1834; Volume: XLIII; Issue: 90;
Page: [2/5]; Location: Baltimore, Maryland
> He abandoned the substantial happiness of private life, and the
> profits of his lucrative profession, and entered into the service of a
> debased and debasing junto. The menials of the kitchen smeared him
> over with flattery, and he /descended to their level/.

I am not entirely sure if "service of a ... junto" is meant to represent
the entire field of politics or just the support for the Jacksonian
faction. This is a difference of significance. I am inclined to accept
the latter, as it matches the generic sense of junta 2./junto 1. fairly
well.

Also note that Junta 2. is left well behind and needs some postdating
quotes and examples.

>  2. In general sense: = junto n. 1.
> 1714    Swift  Some Thoughts upon Present State Affairs (1741) 20
> Ready for any Acts of Violence, that a Junto composed of the greatest
> Enemies to the Constitution shall think fit to enjoin them.
> 1867    G. Smith  Three Eng. Statesmen (1882) 77   A junta of
> fanatics, who wanted to sweep away law, learning, and civil society.

Surely, between Portugal, Greece, Chile and Burma of the second half of
the 20th century, there should be thousands of opportunities.

     VS-)