"rattle" = have sexual intercourse with, 2001

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Feb 22 19:31:33 UTC 2011

At 2/22/2011 01:06 PM, Neal Whitman wrote:
>It shows up in George Macdonald Fraser's "Flashman" novels quite a bit,

Found (probably with the desired meaning!) at least in "Flash for
Freedom!" (1972), e.g. page 453 in an Everyman's Library collection
(2010).  Seemingly not in "Flashman" (1969).

>along with "rogering".
>They were written in the 20th century, set in the 19th.

Does that mean we should find "rattle" in 19th-century books or slang
dictionaries?  However, my personal memory of  "rogering" is from the
18th century.

Joel