stock-jobber

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 23 08:17:07 UTC 2011

I have no beef with this--in fact, I'm aware of it. My question
concerned only the specific contemporaneous definition (Webster 1828)
that applied to several cites on the subject of Bank of US scandal in
1834. This particular definition is not found among the ones in the OED
or in any of the other contemporary dictionaries. OneLook finds it under
Webster 1828 only. But, yes, the most common definitions include the
pejorative reference to a stockbroker or the singularly British one "One
who deals only with brokers or other jobbers." What I want to know is if
it's worth resurrecting the apparently now-lost definition of a
public-fund speculator, particularly with the OED being a "historical
dictionary".

     VS-)