odds & ends from CNN

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 23 17:46:23 UTC 2011

Here's another:  a well-enunciated mention, by a leading anchor, of
"flamingo dancing."

Yeah, I took into account the nasal environment of /I/ in some
African-American speech.

But he clearly said /g/, not /k/.  I may have mentioned that the question of
flamenco once came up while a dozen university- and business-type people
were planning a music festival in 1979.  They were about to release an
announcement specifying that {flamingo dancing} would be featured.  I
observed as tactfully as possible that it was {flamenco}.  There was a
puzzled silence, then an agreement to "check," followed by the confident
remark that, "I'm pretty sure it's flamingo."

JL