Queries for the List

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Fri Feb 25 01:44:14 UTC 2011

A law professor is writing about the history and usage of the terms "African-American," "Afro-American," "Negro," "black," etc.  Can anyone suggest to me good books or articles treating this topic?  Also, can anyone suggest to me the names of knowledgeable scholars on this subject who might be willing to provide some input to the law professor?

He also is seeking help in identifying a paper he saw about the speech of Martha's Vineyard, a paper that examined how homeowners on that island spoke differently when talking to visitors who did not own a home there.  Does anyone know of such a paper?

Fred Shapiro