Heard on Springer: "in the _first_ beginning..."

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 25 18:11:39 UTC 2011

Twenty-ish, black male speaker"

"Well, in the _first_ beginning, the relationship was rocky."

To paraphrase:

"Yet it lives!"

Throughout my grade-school years, 1942-1950, our teachers, white nuns
of the Maryknoll Order, struggled unceasingly, yet unsuccessfully,
from the first beginning to get us colored kids to stop using "_first_
beginning" because of its illogic. Second Coming? Yes. Second
beginning? No.

Of course, I have no idea whether this speaker's background is in any
way similar to mine, but his use of "first beginning" really took me
(a)back.

As for me, I now use "at first," thereby avoiding the issue altogether. ;-)

--
-Wilson
-----