The hardest thing in the world to understand is income taxes (attrib Albert Einstein Feb 22 1963)

Mon Feb 28 08:37:03 UTC 2011

The other Einstein quotation about taxes mentioned in the Time
magazine letter apparently dates from 1944 when it appeared in a
widely distributed Associated Press story.

Cite: 1944 March 11, New York Times, Tax Form Baffles Even Prof.
Einstein [Associated Press], Page 1, New York. (ProQuest)

Asked what his reaction was to the maze of income tax questions,
Professor Einstein, whose theory of relativity is supposedly
understood by only seven persons in the world, replied:

"This is a question too difficult for a mathematician. It should be
asked of a philosopher."

End excerpt

Both sentences of the quotation above differ somewhat from the version
in Time magazine on February 01, 1963 and the version in Time on
February 22, 1963.

"This is too difficult for a mathematician," said Einstein. "It takes
a philosopher."
End excerpt

Textual differences of this type mean little to the reader, but
sometimes mean quite a bit to a database searcher. Relativity
(simplified).
Garson