Anglicisms

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 28 20:40:11 UTC 2011

Normally, I avoid all Briticisms, unless it's clear to the listener
that I'm using a random such only for its entertainment value.

That's right up your street
I reckon you
Got br[a]ss in pocket
Glo?al stop (I recognize that the [?] can now hardly be said to be
foreign to AmE - with especial ;-) reference to BE - but I "come from
a different school.")

Nevertheless, I've caught myself using the UK "on my own," etc. in
place of the genuine US "(all) by myself" or "alone," etc. for real!

Youneverknow.

WRT [?]: For a very long time, I was under the impression that I knew
only one (black) American, whom I didn't meet until I was 23, and he
used this segment in all of the places in which it's possible to
articulate it.

Then, last week, I flashed on a peculiar pronunciation of _Saturday_
used by the black polloi in Marshall and it suddenly came clear to me
that what was "peculiar" was the occurrence of therein of a glottal
stop. Instead of the boojie, near-standard pronunciation used in our
household - i.e. just ah-ruh-lessness - they used

[sA?IdI]

I can't recall noticing any other unusual-IMO use of glottal stop in
BE before 1961. Memory is interpretation, not information. So,

Youneverknow.

--
-Wilson
-----