"(speech) balloon", as in the comics

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Jan 1 16:20:57 UTC 2011

I apologize for having apparently led first responders off track.  I
did not mean to ask about specific forms of "<modifier> balloon" for
thoughts or words in illustrations.  Rather, about the word "balloon"
itself, for which the OED's earliest quotation is 1843    Dickens,
Martin Chuzzlewit.  But I've encountered such balloons in political
cartoons of the American Revolution (as John also noted below), and
purely by accident just saw an example in a satirical drawing
attributed to the 1600s.  (It's sources to "The Cuckold's Lamentation
of a Bad Wife" (1600s) in The Roxburghe Ballads, vol. 3. p. 635.)

And I have no idea how much earlier one can find illustrations with balloons.

So my questions are:

(1)  If such balloons were used earlier, perhaps 200 years earlier,
than _Martin Chuzzlewit_, were they called "balloons" earlier?

(2)  Or was some other term(s) used in the 17th and 18th centuries?

(3)  Does the OED definition need an extension from "esp. a character
in a cartoon or comic strip" to include satiric (including political)
illustrations?

Joel