she as a gender-neutral pronoun

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Jan 2 15:13:45 UTC 2011

At 9:07 AM -0500 1/2/11, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>I've seen this many times in lit-crit prose over the past, say, fifteen
>years, chiefly in the works of female writers, who, it may be assumed, find
>"she" the more "natural" pronoun.
>
>Male writers also use it, and I've seen it alternated with "he," more or
>less at random, though in different sentences. That seems to be quite
>common.
>
>JL

It could also be that when it's alternated we don't notice the
gender-neutral "he" and just register the gender-neutral "she".  As
far as disciplines go, there's been a tendency over the last couple
of decades in much linguistic semantics/pragmatics and philosophy of
language work to use the convention that the arbitrary speaker is
"she" and the arbitrary hearer "he".

LH