she as a gender-neutral pronoun

Federico Escobar federicoescobarcordoba at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 3 02:30:27 UTC 2011

I think this gender-neutral "she" is everywhere by now.

For instance, in books on entrepreneurship and management:
"Nobody ever reached her potential by scattering herself in twenty
directions" (John C. Maxwell, *Success 101: What Every Leader Needs to
Know*[2008], p. 9).

And this note from the second edition of Richard Dawkins's *The Selfish Gene
* is telling:
"the original text should stand, sexist pronouns and all" (p. xvii). Dawkins
is commenting on the pronouns he used in the first edition ("he", "him"),
which he chose to leave unbruised for the second edition.

F.