"beyond the pale"

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 3 02:41:10 UTC 2011

I had to scratch my head a bit to figure out what Joel meant, although,
once you connect the dots, it makes perfect sense. The OED has "beyond
the pale" only back to 1720, so the other dates are just for pale 5.a.
and 5.b. and 4.a.--"beyond the pale" is pale 5.c. and the three
identifiable geographic "pales" are 4.b-d. But Joel is absolutely
correct that "pale" refers to a number of artificial boundaries, not
just the one in Ireland or the one in Ukraine, plus it has a more
generic meaning.

But I mentioned it earlier and Joel made a reference to the same note on
5.c.:

> The theory that the origin of the phrase relates to any of several
> specific regions, such as the area of Ireland formerly called the Pale
> (see sense 4b) or the Pale of Settlement in Russia (see sense 4c), is
> _not_supported_by_the_early_historical_evidence_ and is likely to be a
> later rationalization.

Why can't we just assume that "beyond the pale" means almost literally
what it says? That something is "outside the fence" or beyond the boundary?

VS-)