to switch gears

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 7 01:52:35 UTC 2011

Not in OED--the straight meaning is directly derivable, so no need for
it, but the figurative meaning is not. It means "to change attitude,
approach, direction [abruptly]; to make a different choice, preference"

Dictionary.com/RH Unabridged is the only one I found to have a definition:

> shift/switchgears--to change one's attitude, course of action,
> methods, etc., in an abrupt, dramatic, or unexpected manner: In the
> middle of the second act the play shifts gears from comedy to tragedy.

A few news items just from the last couple of days:
http://goo.gl/SkmNu

http://goo.gl/G1Jyt

http://goo.gl/cDApk

http://goo.gl/71LTE