"pale of settlement", 1840, 1868, and 1919

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 11 01:11:59 UTC 2011

Some observations on the Russian Pale.

There is a detailed work from 1884 called The Jewish Question in
Russia, written in Russian by Prince Demidov - San Donato and then
translated into English, which does not use the phrase "Pale of
Settlement" but instead talks about the "limits of Jewish domicile".

The NYTimes in August 1890 published extensive excerpts from a Russian
work called "Laws in Relation to the Jews / Extracts from the Code of
The Russian Empire Dealing With Jews". These translations do not refer
to the Pale, but do clearly use the phrase "Jewish settlement" to
refer to this geographic area.

In October 1890, however, the NYTimes published excerpts from two
articles from other publications, "Blackwood's Magazine" and
"Fortnightly Review", and refers for the first time to the "Pale of
Settlement", putting the phrase in quotation marks.

In looking at several of the 1890/1891 sources, it is possible that
the phrase "Pale of Settlement" is coming out of translations of the
1886 Passport laws, which makes the 1890 date understandable.

BTW, I am not convinced of the 1890 date for the novel. The eBook is dated 1896.

DanG