<3 is in the air--or in NYT presses

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 11 02:37:10 UTC 2011

Just to clarify--at no point did I attempt to antedate the substitution
of "heart" for the symbol as a verb. I was simply noting that it has now
become ubiquitous and would be puzzling to the uninitiated. As for how
NYers read the phrase, allow me to express my doubts concerning Dan's
characterization--I've witnessed it stated otherwise, at least, in
moments of sarcastic wit, mocking the shirts worn by tourists, bumper
stickers on cars, etc.

VS-)