capsule, etc. + bubble/pearl tea + tapioca pearls

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 13 16:12:24 UTC 2011

FWIW, I first encountered both the words "caps" and "tabs" in the context of
writings on illicit drug
use. They were always placed within quotes to indicate their novelty.  I did
not notice them in general use till well into the 1970s.

It is very likely that the short forms were actually introduced
by pharmacists and others many decades ago, but the available printed
evidence is that neither was routinely used by the media or the public till
the '70s or later.

JL