further looking for "biggie" = 'something impressive'

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 15 02:17:01 UTC 2011

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 10:22 AM,  <RonButters at aol.com> wrote:

> Pittsburgh Courier, May 19, 1962, p23: "Bernard Sewell of Wilmington, Del.,=20
> joined the Elite Club of 700 series bowlers ... on Feb. 21. Sewell, a vetera=
> n=20
> of some 15 years on the lanes, turned in his _biggie_ while rolling in the Mon=
> day=20
> Club League. ..." [_This is more in the sense of 'big one' (here, =E2=80=98bi=
> g game=E2=80=99)=20
> than metaphoric 'big deal'_; this, by the way somewhat complicates the=20
> etymological sequence: =E2=80=9Cbiggie=E2=80=9D descends both from the meani=
> ng =E2=80=98big deal, nontrivial=20
> situation=E2=80=99 AND =E2=80=98big something=E2=80=99.]

FWIW, IME, when _biggie_ was being used in BE slang, ca. 1955-65, it
was used strictly negatively, in the form of

"It ain't no big thang"

and the expected variants thereof, including,

"No biggie."

But this was less common than

"No thang,"

Back in the day, had someone said something like

"It's a biggie / a thang,"

that would have been understood to mean something along the lines of

"It's a serious problem."

Hence, I add to Ron's analysis that, in the cite from the Pittsburgh
Courier, the writer, as might be expected, is using the semantics of
sE - a big _deal_; a positive, here, but it could just have easily
been a negative in some other context, as Ron's further cites show.

Some of us may recall the scene from a movie, in which a black
witness, answering the standard legal question, "Do you swear," etc.