from "blood libel" to "pogrom"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Jan 16 04:18:19 UTC 2011

Tom, if you are really unaware of the meaning of "blood libel" and
its historical (and still current) association with persecution and
slander of Jews, I am astonished.  And also that you do not simply go
to the Wikipedia article.

(As someone wrote here earlier, the omission of this term from the
OED -- not even in any quotation! -- is inexcusable.  I notice that
it's also absent from my Webster's New World Dictionary of 1991.)

Joel