diverse = 'ethnically different'

Wed Jan 19 14:18:23 UTC 2011

We infer that he means 'ethnically diverse' or 'linguistically diverse' because nothing else makes readily apparent sense, given the extremely limited context, except maybe topography or weather or animals considered restaurant menu items.  This does not mean that "diverse" MEANS 'ethically diverse' or 'linguistically diverse'.

Try:

UMass may be more diverse than MIT
The Met may be more diverse than MOMA
Chinese military arms may be less diverse than America's
Your litter of puppies may be more diverse than mine
The California wine industry may be more diverse than that of North Carolina ...

Why not even

African-American Congresspersons may be less diverse than other ethnic groups, but there are still one or two closeted gays among our ranks.

Sent from my iPad