verse

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 20 19:53:38 UTC 2011

Don't know about the original intent, but, I suspect, Asimov's usage
was a joke on the original UNIVAC. If you have a uni-vac, why not a
multi-vac? I wonder if the same logic went into Jon Lighter's
colleague's "coinage".

I plead ignorance, as I am not familiar with Moorcock. But my main
concern was with the isolated "verse", assuming that X-verse variants
had evolved from it. This does not appear to be the case for all of
them. In fact, it's possible that some writers actually went in the
opposite direction--but all that is speculation. Still, if one trawls
various sci-fi BBSs, blogs and other assorted gatherings, I am sure it
would not be difficult to back up increased usage of "verse" in recent
years--even if the two isolated film references I cited are purely
specific to those works (something I don't actually believe, as both
are closely connected to the sci-fi fan culture). I am not suggesting
that this demands a dictionary entry--yet. Just raising awareness...

VS-)