bellybutton

Fri Jan 21 00:34:46 UTC 2011

Charlie Doyle asked:
> A character named "Mrs. Bellybutton" appeared in 1847 in H. N.
> Moore's _Fitzgerald and Hopkins; or, Scenes and Adventures in
> Theatrical Life_ (Philadelphia:  G. Sherman).  Could there be
> some other (non-anatomical) allusion in her name?

In addition to the character Mrs. Bellybutton, there are John
Bellybutton and Robert Bellybutton.

Do you think it is possible that "belly" is being used as a
nonsensical combining term to generate other words within the work
cited? Here are two other instances of "belly" in "Fitzgerald and
Hopkins: or, Scenes and adventures in theatrical life":

Page 59

"While at Eton," replied the schoolmaster, he was the Hon-
orable Snubnose Cocklecroft, he afterwards inherited the title of
Lord Sugarlips, and has since, in consideration of the many ser-
vices he has rendered the crown, been created Duke of Dolly-
belly."

Page 88

A spoonful or so of chicken-
broth, once or twice a day, to keep life in him, but nothing more.
What! did he talk of an apple-dumpling, do you say?"
  "He did."
  "Monstrous! Aldo-belly-polly-nephus!"
  "I told him 'twould choke him."
  "That was right. You have an eye to business, I perceive."

http://books.google.com/books?id=VIgUAAAAYAAJ&q=belly#v=snippet&

Garson