to decenter

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 21 23:05:24 UTC 2011

OED def. 2 doesn't take into account this indispensible lit-crit term. It
means "to take away or refashion the central organizing principle of," as
well as "to remove from a position of central interest."

E.g.,

"The recognition of Third-World authors decenters the traditional canon."

"The poet decenters the human agent from the political events described."

I don't have real exx. handy, so you'll have to take these on faith.

JL