gazebo (antedating 1749)

Sat Jan 22 03:05:46 UTC 2011

Joel Berson wrote:
> ESTC lists a 2nd edition of this dated [1752], with the following:
> General note   Part 1 by William Halfpenny, parts II-IV the joint
> work of William and John Halfpenny.
>         Each part with separate titlepage, (part I dated Dec.1.
> 1750, part II Feb.1. 1751, part III May 1st, 1751, part IV January, 1752).
>
> Which part of the garden the gazebo is in I do not know.  Plate 55
> sounds late for Part 1.  Perhaps Wikipedia incorrectly took its date
> from the Part 1 title page.

Thanks for responding with this information Joel. Paging backward from
the occurrence of "gazebo" in the third edition (in Google Books)
leads to the title page of Part IV. Hence, gazebo probably occurs in
Part IV of the first edition also.

The title page of Part IV in the third edition says "Published
according to Act of Parliament, January, 1752." That is the same date
that ESTC gives for the second edition Part IV.

http://books.google.com/books?id=IAlbAAAAQAAJ&q=gazebo#v=snippet&

I think this supports your suggestion that the Wikipedia date is incorrect.
Garson