Puzzling Antedating of "Scofflaw"

Charles C Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Mon Jan 24 01:27:05 UTC 2011

Isn't it also possible that the winning entry in the "coinage" contest was not necessarily an actual (new) coinage but just somebody's favorite new or novel word?  The fact that "scofflaw" was entered by two separate contestants seems to point in that direction.

--Charlie

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of Garson O'Toole [adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM]
Sent: Sunday, January 23, 2011 6:57 PM
"

Intriguing mystery, Fred! The illustration used in the Charleston
Daily Mail in the issue dated January 27, 1923 is the same as the
illustration used in an article dated January 23, 1924 in The Meriden
Daily Journal of Meriden, Connecticut (In Google News archive). The
text is also very similar. It looks like both articles are reprints.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=-bFIAAAAIBAJ&sjid=wQENAAAAIBAJ&pg=1398,594273&dq=royal-order-of-scofflaws&hl=en
Short URL:
http://goo.gl/dGRbe

This supports John Baker's hypothesis that the print run of the
Charleston Daily Mail has the wrong date. In fact the wrong date is
given at the top of every page I looked at. (The front page of the
Charleston Daily Mail is not visible because the index numbering is
off by one.)

However, if you go to page six of the Charleston Daily Mail (which
NewspaperArchive indexes as page five) you can see the masthead in the
first column. The date immediately below "The Daily Mail" is January
27, 1924. So there is at least one place where the apparently correct
date is listed.
Garson