blitz

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 24 03:31:52 UTC 2011

Blitz is German for lightning. The terms blitz, bullet and lightning
are often confused as applied to forms of chess played with very short
time limits, no more than five minutes per player for the entire game.

In the era before the widespread use of chess clocks, blitz referred
to a version where each move is supposed to be made instantaneously,
ie, without any noticeable time for thought.

DanG