"In God We Trust...."

Mon Jan 24 03:55:10 UTC 2011

The Yale Book of Quotations has an earlier cite on page 669:

In God we trust; all others pay cash.
Chester (Pa.) Daily Times, 21 Apr. 1877. The exact
wording here is ‘‘In God we trust, all others cash.’’

I was enthused when I found a variant in 1865 several months ago, but
Barry Popik already had it listed on his website:

18 May 1865, New Hampshire Sentinel, pg. 2:
There was something of incongruity in the mottoes of a store window in
Portland, on the occasion of the funeral of the President: “In God we
trust.” “Terms cash.”—Bangor Times.

http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/in_god_we_trust_all_others_pay_cash/