Quote or Proverb: My boys trust in the Lord, and keep your powder dry (antedating 1832 February 28)

Mon Jan 24 19:20:40 UTC 2011

Yesterday, Jonathan Lighter mentioned the phrase "In God we trust -
everybody else cash." The phrase below resonated in my memory:

Put your trust in God, and keep your powder dry.

This expression appears in the Proverbs section of the Oxford
Dictionary of Quotations, and the entry points to a quotation from the
ballad ‘Oliver's Advice’ by Valentine Blacker:

Put your trust in God, my boys, and keep your powder dry.

ODQ specifies a date of 1856. The Yale Book of Quotations also has
this quotation and traces it back to 1834. Both references note that
the phrase is attributed to Oliver Cromwell.