Quote or Proverb: Sleep on your matchlocks and keep your powder dry (1836)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Jan 25 00:46:28 UTC 2011

Again, as things approach the 18th century, I look in EAN.

Not much later than Garson's 1832 for "Put your
trust in God, and keep your powder dry."

"Sleep on your matchlocks and keep your powder
dry!"  [Ttle of article prompted by the election
of Van Buren, taken from the Washington Sun, presumably a little earlier.]

Haverhill [Mass.] Gazette, published as The Essex
Gazette; Date: 12-01-1836; Volume: XI; Issue: 23; Page: [2], col. 5.  [EAN]

Joel