Followup Batman Question

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 25 03:13:35 UTC 2011

I never quite got to sent my original response, as most of the issues I
had were already mentioned. But there are two remaining peripheral
questions that have not been brought up.

Not quite linguistic, but clearly semiotically relevant--the projected
bat-signal has become a visual icon, especially in TV commercials.

I was wondering if there is any connection between the Bat-cave and the
man-cave. I've spotted no "man-cave" references prior to 2003, although
there are a number of "men's cave" occurrences, including in at least
three (!) books by John Gray (Mars and Venus series (1996, 2002); How to
get what you want at work (2002)). Prior to that, the caves are quite
literal. MTV surely had a lot to do with it, so I have no idea when and
how the expression originated.

     VS-)