Quote or Proverb: My boys trust in the Lord, and keep your powder dry (antedating 1832 February 28)

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 25 03:19:23 UTC 2011

I thought I was going from the title page, but I must have missed the
transition between the original pamphlet and piled on "stuff"--the
footnotes.

Yes, upon further analysis, it seems the series was published in 1896-7.
So the text would have come much later. I found another US-based text
that included the quip that was tagged 1835. The actual date was 1839. I
am quite certain that the supposed 1805 piece is mixed up, just as I
described earlier--barring blatant plagiarism, the poem did not appear
before 1848.

So I owe Garson a second apology.

     VS-)