Quote or Proverb: My boys trust in the Lord, and keep your powder dry (antedating 1832 February 28)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Jan 25 15:19:23 UTC 2011

At 1/25/2011 08:11 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>ZIP Codes: 1963.

The Burt Franklin-published collection of Old South leaflets that
contains the quote is of issues 126-150.  Some of the
individually-titled leaflets with issue numbers in that vicinity are
dated circa 1902.  So Franklin's is clearly a later collection.  But
we still can't demonstrate when the footnote was written, 1963+ or
circa 1902 or whenever Emerson's oration was first published as an
Old South leaflet.  (In browsing through the leaflet and footnote, I
did not notice an imprint date or any date later than I think 1814.)

Joel