Book on Origin of New York City's Nickname "The Big Apple"

Gerald Cohen gcohen at MST.EDU
Tue Jan 25 18:28:15 UTC 2011

For those who may be interested:

Barry Popik and I have just published _Origin of New York
City's Nickname "The Big Apple"_ (2nd edition, revised and
expanded; Frankfurt a.M.: Peter Lang, 2011. 175 pp.).  I had
published the first edition in 1991 and have now included Barry
as co-author in recognition of his significant contributions to the topic.

Considerable new information has emerged since 1991, making the revised
edition necessary. Also, gratitude is expressed in the book to the American
Dialect Society for its members' contributions to the subject. Those
individual contributions (and others) are specifically acknowledged
throughout the book.  Once again, many thanks.

Gerald Cohen