"Horribles" (and a 1792 instance)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Jan 26 21:03:50 UTC 2011

Fred, was the American Speech author any more
specific about where his association with the
Ancient and Honourable Company came from?

EAN has "horribles" earliest in 1792 (perhaps a
useful interdating between 1726 and 1851):  "List
of Horribles" (article title).  Catskill [New
York] Packet; Date: 09-03-1792; Volume: I; Issue:
5; Page: [3]. Of course the Ancient and
Honourable antedates American newspapers.

GBooks gives "parade of 'Horribles'" [note the
interior quote marks] in Youth's Companion,
allegedly 1885, Vol. 58 (snippet).  That is
reasonably consistent (within one year?) with a
first publication date of 1827.  That's the
earliest I saw for this specific phrase.  "Of
horribles" by itself seems to appear in 1878 and the 1880s.

Joel