Quote: There is no God, and Harriet is his prophet (1851 August)

Fri Jan 28 14:38:20 UTC 2011

The Wikipedia entry for Wolfgang Pauli contains the following
quotation as noted by Victor. Wikipedia excerpt:

"Well, I'd say that also our friend Dirac has got a religion and the
first commandment of this religion is 'God does not exist and Paul
Dirac is his prophet'". Everybody burst into laughter, including
Dirac.
End excerpt.

The following comment is appended. Wikipedia excerpt:

This last quote is apparently a paraphrase of the quip about Robert
Green Ingersoll (1833–1899): "There is no God, and Ingersoll is his
prophet."
End excerpt.

There is a version of this joke featuring Harriet Martineau:

Cite: 1851 August, Graham's magazine, The Use and the Economy of
Invective, Page 66, Column 2, Volume 39, Number 2, Philadelphia,
Pennsylvania. (Google Books full view)

The best criticism on Harriet Martineau's late atheistical book is
contained in the remark of a London wit, who was asked what was the
doctrine which it inculcated. He replied, "The doctrine seems to be
this; there is no God, and Harriet is his prophet."

http://books.google.com/books?id=E3gAAAAAYAAJ&q=Harriet#v=snippet&

Robert Green "Bob" Ingersoll was born on August 11, 1833. So he was 18
years old when this article was published. Here is another cite from a
month later that names the wit:

Cite: 1851 September, The International Monthly Magazine of
Literature, Science, and Art

Douglass Jerrold said the sum of their doctrine was contained in the
formula, "There is no God, and Miss Martineau is his prophet," ...

http://books.google.com/books?id=lOMXAQAAIAAJ&q=%22his+prophet%22#v=snippet&

Walt Whitman did refer to Ingersoll as a prophet, but the satirical
context is missing in this cite:

With Walt Whitman in Camden
Monday May 7, 1888

He is in a way a chosen man. There always was something in the idea
that the prophets are called. Ingersoll is a prophet-he, too, is
called. He is far, far deeper than he is supposed to be, even by
radicals: we get lots of deep sea fruit out of him.

http://books.google.com/books?id=asVEAAAAYAAJ&q=%22a+prophet%22#v=snippet&

Garson