homosexuality

Ronald Butters ronbutters at AOL.COM
Sat Jan 29 16:26:58 UTC 2011

Some people have maintained that "homosexuality" tends to have at its semantic core 'male same-sex desire' and that women are excluded. Others have sometime suggested that "homosexuality" sounds "clinical," as if same-sex sexual preference were a disease.

As in most things, it is not easy to please everybody. There used to be : "Negroes" and "Colored People," but now there are African-Americans (except for those who find the hyphen insulting, or are from South Africa). Some "lesbians" like "dykes"; some "gay men" (now and in the 1930s) self-reference as "queer," etc.

Maybe we should just go back to the 1930s and employ the coy euphemism, "that way" (as in, "Is it true that Chris is that way?").