"Hot Dog" article in The Atlantic

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Mon Jul 4 15:18:29 UTC 2011

In a private message Barry Popik replied to the incorrect assertion
( July 2, The Atlantic) that "hot dogs" were in disrepute nationally                                                                                                     until FDR raised them to respectability in the 1930s (subtitle of article:
"Before FDR helped the hot dog become a Fourth of July favorite,                                                           it was an outcast associated with squalor, crime, and moonshine.")
     ---- With Popik's permission I now pass along his comments below:
       '... 1909-1939 was not "America's Era of Sausage-Hating." Nathan's became famous in this era.
New Jersey had its Texas Hot Wieners. Michigan had its Coney Islands.
All of America FELL IN LOVE with hot dogs during this era!
       'Plus, technical cooking advancements were being made and hot dogs lost
the tough, leathery skin and became more edible than ever before.
      "America's Era of Sausage-Hating," if we must declare one, is from the
NINETEENTH CENTURY, when "hot dogs" were named. The "dog sausage" name
and stories about tainted meat were cited by Gerald Cohen and me many
years ago--found from the 1840s. Old news, really, by 1909.'
------Gerald Cohen
cc.: Barry Popik
       Daniel Fromson (associate editor, The Atlantic)