"[That comment] goes to show how well you know me, anymore."

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 6 03:34:53 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 10:22 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu> wrote:
> Sender: Â  Â  Â  American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster: Â  Â  Â  Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
> Subject: Â  Â  Â Re: "[That comment] goes to show how well you know me, anymore."
>
> On Jul 5, 2011, at 9:42 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:
>
>> In context, this may well have been a tip of the slung for,
>>
>> "[That comment] goes to show how _poorly_ you know me, anymore."
>>

>> Either way, it's not quite right, IMO.
>>
> Seems fine to me as an utterance in a positive anymore dialect, taken either sincerely or (more likely) sarcastically. No speech error, just sarcasm + positive "anymore". Â The presupposition is that you may have known me pretty well in the past, but now, forget it.
>
> LH

Mine error, my dear sir. I don't mean that my mere opinion necessarily
renders the string ungrammatical. We all speak dialect. Prolly shoulda
used IMD for "in my dialect" or some such.

--
-Wilson
-----