Seven-year itch

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 7 12:08:33 UTC 2011

Axelrod undoubtedly coined the expression as a fancifully humorous
reinterpretation of an old phrase.

If the Sandburg quote were a valid illustration (and it doesn't really seem
so) one would expect to find at least one more ex. between 1936 and 1952 -
if not before 1936.

There is also the tangentially related phrase "slower than the
seven-year('s) itch," which HDAS-on-a-parallel-world has from 1929 and 1930,
GB from (at least) 1910.

JL