Phrase: the old, slam-bang, thank-you-ma'ams (automobile tires circa 1925 probably)

Fri Jul 8 21:21:37 UTC 2011

Many thanks to Wilson, George, and Dan for excellent responses. Here
is another example from this family of phrases that appeared in 1944
(probably) in QST magazine, a periodical for amateur radio
enthusiasts. I think the following passage is about a group of people
under bombardment during a military battle. When a bomb explodes
adjacent to the party the intense jarring sensation elicits the phrase
"Bing, bam - thank you, ma'am!"

Cite: Circa 1944, QST, GB Page 161 or 45, Volume 28, American Radio
Relay League. (Google Books; Not verified; Data may be inaccurate; See
date probe below)

Another bomb hit close by.
"Bing, bam  - thank you, ma'am! That last baby jarred my bridge work. You okay?"
"Roger. Let's take a look and see if Charlie's using his good eye tonight."

http://books.google.com/books?id=4FMkAQAAIAAJ&q=%22bing+bam%22#search_anchor

I have not verified this text on paper, but it is plausible. This date
probe link shows the February 1944 issue of QST in the same book as
the excerpt:
http://books.google.com/books?id=4FMkAQAAIAAJ&q=February#search_anchor

Perhaps this usage of "Bing, bam - thank you, ma'am!" can be grouped
together with the responses to uneven and jolting travel via
automobile. And also with the label used for ridges in the road that
might cause jolts.

Garson