Famous quotation about the weather in San Francisco (Duluth in 1900) and a mystery volume with restricted access in Google Books

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Tue Jul 12 02:45:14 UTC 2011

But if Google Books metadata is to be trusted (which is a big assumption),
this volume contains an article titled "Educating Horses." by Harry Hieover.
Hieover wrote a book on horsemanship, "Stable Talk and Table Talk" v. 2, in
1846 that contains an article titled "Educating Horses." So a date of around
1846 seems likely.

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
Garson O'Toole
Sent: Monday, July 11, 2011 8:07 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Famous quotation about the weather in San Francisco (Duluth in

Joel S. Berson wrote:
> Harvard seems to have vols. 2 through 49 (1816) with some
> missing.  What volume and page are we looking for?

Many thanks for your response Joel, and your willingness to help.
Unfortunately, the Google Books database is not supplying a year or a
volume number. The page is 222. I have not been able to extract a year
using a variety of search probes. Here are two links. Maybe someone
else  can extract a date or volume number:

http://books.google.com/books?id=qRQGAAAAQAAJ&
http://books.google.com/books?id=qRQGAAAAQAAJ&q=Beresford#search_anchor

> At 7/11/2011 06:52 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>>Garson, Eighteenth Century Collections Online contains one volume of this
>>magazine only (1793).
>>
>>I could not find the passage in question.
>>
>>On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 6:35 PM, Garson O'Toole
>><adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>> > ---------------------- Information from the mail header
>> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> > Poster:       Garson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>
>> > Subject:      Famous quotation about the weather in San Francisco
(Duluth
>> > in
>> >              1900) and a mystery volume with restricted access in
Google
>> > Books

---