"vulgar euphemism" (cf "uterus" & "slut")

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 12 20:32:20 UTC 2011

My TV-news experiences tell me subjectively that talking heads have used
"euphemism" as a precise synonym for "synonym" for many years. (Fifteen?
Twenty? For some reason I don't think it could be much more than that.)

Disbelieve if you wish, but I rarely hear them say "synonym."

Because they're saying "euphemism" instead.

(And remember: if the truest synonyms really are "gorse" and "furze," there
will almost always be "some added element of meaning" in other
synonymous pairs.)

JL