Thank you ma'am; Kiss me (bump or dip in road)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jul 14 13:39:39 UTC 2011

On Jul 14, 2011, at 7:21 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> The only printed reference to "padiddle" that I can recall seeing was in the
> National Lampoon around 1980.  I'd never heard of the game, so the passage
> made no sense to me.
>
> At all.
>
> JL

I should confess that I hadn't heard of padiddles when I was in NYC in the 50s; it was when I was an undergrad in Rochester in the early 60s that I was introduced to the "game".  Of course in New York it would have probably had to be a subway car with a headlight missing, which I don't think entitles anyone to kisses, slaps, or other activities normally prohibited in subway cars (spitting, smoking, ball-playing?).

LH