"carmageddon" -- word of the weekend?

Nancy Friedman nancyf at WORDWORKING.COM
Fri Jul 15 04:52:13 UTC 2011

L.A.'s "north side" is the San Fernando Valley. The "south side" is South
Central. It's "East L.A.," not "the east side." And the Westside is always
one word (_pace_ the New York Times).

Angelenos always use "the" in front of freeway numbers; the rest of the
state doesn't. Yes, it's technically I-405, but no one in L.A. acknowledges
the interstate. It's always "the 405," "the 110," etc.

More on Carmageddon and L.A. shibboleths: http://bit.ly/pmC5Cg

Nancy

_______

Word of the week:  Butler lie. http://nancyfriedman.typepad.com