coloured folk: to clarify

Fri Jul 15 22:34:43 UTC 2011

The whole story of Schoonmaker vs. Hodgeboom is interesting, but what I had
in mind for you-uns was that as early as 1825 well-meaning "philanthropists"
were trying to improve the status of a group by changing the word which
identified it.

As for knowing from her name that Phillis was coloured, Phillis and Chloe
were stereotypical names for black women; Cuff is an African name, but
parallel to Phillis and Chloe were the names Pompey and Cato for men.  Cato
Alexander kept a very well-known roadhouse in the east 50s, I think, for
decades, the 1820s and after; it was very popular with a sporting crowd.
 Otherwise, I'm not sure that I have encountered an actual person named
Phillis, Chloe or Pompey.  (Encountered while time-travelling in early 19th
C NYC, that is.)

GAT