"aparcalypse"?

Sun Jul 17 15:56:35 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 11:44 AM, Arnold Zwicky wrote:

> On Jul 17, 2011, at 8:27 AM, Joel S. Berson wrote:
>
> > At 7/16/2011 10:23 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:
> >> "Carpocalypse" and "Aparcalypse" have also been seen/heard.
> >
> > "Aparcalypse" -- from a- [not] and "park"?  meaning something like
> > "the time when cars on the 405 during rush hour will not seem to be
> > parked"?  (That is, will not be seen to be not moving.)
>
> actually, Aparkalypse.  added, along with the computer game Aporkalypse:
> Pigs of Doom, in a comment to my "For the Angelenos" posting.

And I added a comment noting that Mark Peters had already picked up on
"aporkalypse" in his 2009 Good column, "Wordgeddon":

http://www.good.is/post/wordgeddon/

Mark cites a Language Log post of mine on "sandwich words" (as such
blends were termed by Harold Wentworth and then again by John Algeo):

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/002780.html

--bgz

--
Ben Zimmer